5 Healthier Pregnancy-Craving Busters
Ah, pregnancy. What a miraculous, surprising, exciting time. So many incredible experiences ahead. One you often hear of, but cannot really imagine until it hits you: the pregnancy craving. Sure many of us get monthly cravings, but they are usually no match for the ones that mothers-to-be have to contend with. The great irony is that you are trying extra hard to eat healthy to give your little one the best start, but you cannot get cake and fries out of your head. Next time you get blindsided by a monster craving try feeding it one of these healthier (but still crave-busting) alternatives.
1) Craving – Chocolate Cake – Do not despair! You can have your cake and eat it too. Grab a chocolate or spice cake mix and add one egg and one can of pureed pumpkin (not pie filling). Then bake as directed. Believe it or not, it works without the oil or extra eggs.
2) Craving – Fries – Peel and slice a sweet potato into fry-sized strips, spray them with healthy cooking spray and toss with some low sodium or salt-free seasoning. Then bake them at 400 for about 40 min, tossing often. Put them under the broiler for a minute or two at the end to make them extra crisp. You’ll have a great snack that is packed with anti-oxidants and fiber.
3) Craving – Ice Cream – Pick up some individual yogurt cups in a decadent flavor and some wooden popsicle sticks. Poke the sticks through the yogurt lids and freeze. You will have a calcium rich, single serving frozen treat.
4) Craving – Flavored Popcorn – Spray air-popped popcorn with a healthy cooking spray and then toss with low/no sodium seasoning (chili powder or chipotle are great choices) or some parmesan cheese.
5) Craving – Something Crunchy – Roast some unblanched whole almonds either with seasoning or without. Just remember to only have about a handful a day.
Pregnancy cravings can be a real challenge, but with some basic shifts in thinking you can beat them and still feel good about your choices.
Posted by eMommie blogger, Kim P. (aka Mom to Findlay).