6 Fashion Must-Have’s After Baby
I recall with my first pregnancy thinking how excited I would be to slip into a pair of regular, fitted jeans right after the baby would be born. Yeah…right. So NOT the case. My mind drifts to an image of Heidi Klum strutting her stuff down the Victoria’s Secret runway TWO WEEKS after giving birth and flaunting her flat, sculpted abs. That Heidi is a freak of nature. I’m not what you’d consider a heavy-set person; in fact, I’m fairly petite (usually a size 4-6 pre-pregnancy); but my belly did not wanna budge and this second time around is no different. It’s a bit like going from an oversized basketball look to a small canteloupe. So, here are my must-have wardrobe pieces that have given me the courage to venture out of the house without fear of someone asking me if I’m still pregnant.
1. Slouchy Nursing Top by Everly Grey: One of my favorite pieces. I could wear this pre and post pregnancy. The bottom half is loose enough to cover my post-bump and long enough to look like a non-maternity tunic. Bonus: The embellished top half diverts eyes away from your mid-section AND flips up for nursing ease!
2. Black heels: I couldn’t find my favorite pair that I bought at Target forever ago; but since I’m not top-heavy anymore, I was excited to put on a pair of heels. You’ll look taller, leaner, longer, and feel way sexier.
3. Neck scarves: An absolute must-have. Another stylish diversion from your mid-section AND cover-up. I have at least ten in several different prints and colors. Silver is always a great basic to have. Matches with just about anything. And if you’re due in Spring/Summer, you can still take advantage. Look for light, linen scarves that work in warm weather. Old Navy usually has a great selection.
4. Leggings: When your jeans won’t quite button yet, leggings are your saving grace. They’re slimming and comfy around the waist. I don’t recommend trying to use high-waisted maternity leggings as they tend to slide down while you walk if you don’t have the larger belly to keep them up. Some low belly maternity options work really well; especially if you’ve had a c-section (as I did) and are sensitive to anything that might restrict your lower abdomen as non-maternity pieces might.
5. Basic black nursing top: Another maternity AND nursing top. Long and lightweight in a slimming black. The faux wrap is perfect for easy nursing access and I’ve been able to dress this top up or down.
6. Cardigans: These are ideal to finish off your outfit. Great for covering up around your sides. Opt for a longer piece that makes you look leaner; like this Bacci Cardigan.
I’m no fashion expert, but at 3 weeks post-partum, these pieces have kept me comfy and feeling confident. What’s your must-have post-partum piece? What can’t you wait to get back into after baby comes?